AEC doesn't work on inline attachments; no preferences

• Hello,

Pardon my English. :)

Attachment Extractor was one of the great addons for Thunderbird, and the #1 purpose I used it for was for house cleaning - I don't like giant messages piling up in my IMAP account. Thunderbird lacks the ability to delete inline attachments, and AE used to be able to.

Of course the recent changes to TB have given us all a big headache, and I'm very grateful for developers who volunteer and continue updating addons - like Attachment Extractor Continued.

Running TB 68.2.0 on OS X 10.13.6. Installed AEC 2.0.2. It seems to behave normally... except:

- If I try to run it on a message that has inline attachments (typical images), it behaves as if it's running, but doesn't do anything. It will not write any files to the drive, nor delete them from the messages.

- The addon page shows multiple screens with lots of options to tweak (albeit on German). How do I get to those? In my TB, if I go to Tools > Addon Preferences, there's nothing. Also in the screenshots I see an address bar (like in Chrome), chrome://attachmentextractor_cont/content/setting... how do I get my TB to show that? There's no such address bar beneath the tabs.

Thank you!

• Thunder

Approved the thread.
  • To detach and/or delete inline attachments, you've to enable the necessary option in the add-ons options.

Do I understand right, that you don't get the options pages, when you try to open them by Tools → Add-on Preferences → AttachmentExtractor Continued? Maybe this could be an OS (macOS) specific problem, which I cannot proof myself.

• Maybe this could be an OS (macOS) specific problem, which I cannot proof myself.

Das scheint ein macOS spezifisches Problem zu sein.

Bei mir werden in TB 68.2.0 im Menü keine Add-on Optionen angezeigt:

Im Gegensatz zur Version 60.9.0, wo sie angezeigt werden:

Ich suche morgen weiter....

• I found the workaround for macOS.

To open the Add-on Preferences click on the Hamburger button and select "Add-ons" in the drop-down menu.

This will open a new drop-down with a list of the installed add-ons:

Click on AttachmentExtractor to open its prefernces pane in a new tab.

• Das Problem besteht in der Version TB 68.x.x für alle Add-ons, das geht aus meinem ersten Screenshot hervor.

Die Einstellungen der Add-ons sind nicht (mehr) über das Menü Extras > Add-on-Einstellungen erreichbar, sondern nur noch über den Hamburger Button, wie in meinem dritten Screenshot gezeigt.

Bug oder Feature??

• Also in the screenshots I see an address bar (like in Chrome), chrome://attachmentextractor_cont/content/setting... how do I get my TB to show that? There's no such address bar beneath the tabs.

This address bar is a result of "Options in Tabs", which can be used by add-ons in Thunderbird 68 and up.